We have many clients who are current and retired employees of the State of Michigan (SOM). Our experience working with SOM employees makes us uniquely equipped to handle their needs. A few examples of how we can help SOM employees are below:
- Help with understanding the differences between their 401k and 457 and help determining if you should utilize the 401k, 457, or a combination of the two.
- Provide information and guidance on the investment options offered by VOYA along with practical strategies to make the most of these options.
- While you are still working you can take advantage of a Self-Directed Brokerage option. This allows you to hire your own financial advisor to help manage your State of Michigan retirement assets with access to many more investment options than the VOYA platform offers.
- At retirement or termination of employment you are eligible to rollover your 401k and/or 457 assets to an IRA (Individual Retirement account). There are multiple benefits for doing this including access to a wider array of investments and increased flexibility but there are also disadvantages. We can help you determine if the benefits of rolling over your 401k/457 outweigh the disadvantages.
- When you reach 59 ½ years old you are eligible to do an in-service rollover (tax free transfer while employed) from your 401k to an IRA (funds in the 457 are not eligible for this while employee is working). There can be significant benefits to doing this but there can also be disadvantages. We can help you determine if an in-service rollover makes sense for you.
- Help you determine if you should elect spousal benefits for your pension and if a pension maximization strategy makes sense for you.
- Provide guidance on when and how you should claim your social security benefits.
We have a clear understanding of what benefits you will receive when you retire. From your pension to your insurance benefits we know what you can expect. The knowledge and experience we have gained working with SOM employees who have transitioned into retirement allows us to help you determine if you are financially able to retire and live the lifestyle you want to live.
Before rolling over the proceeds of your retirement plan to an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) or annuity, consider whether you would benefit from other possible options such as leaving the funds in your existing plan or transferring them into a new employer’s plan. You should consider the specific terms and rules that relate to each option including: the available investment options, applicable fees and expenses, the services offered, the withdrawal options, the potential flexibility around taking IRS required minimum distributions from the option, tax consequences of withdrawals and of removing shares of employer stock from your plan, possible protection from creditors and legal judgments and your unique situation. Neither Financial Strategies Group nor its advisers provide tax or legal advice. Consult your own tax and or legal advisors regarding your particular situation.